Friday, April 4, 2008

Simple & Slow Fridays: Surrender

I came across a fellow blogger (Boys Rule My Life, www.boysrulemylife.blogspot .com) who also has boys and she has topics for Fridays that you can blog about and then have a link from hers back to yours. So today's topic is Surrender. This is a deep one for my first time doing this. I have learned a lot about surrendering since becoming a mom. You surrender your time, your money, your sleep, your food, going to the bathroom when you want to, pretty much everything. I had thought I knew what it meant to surrender prior to having children, but I had no idea. I am a control freak of sorts and I like order and that just doesn't happen with children. You have to be flexible and surrender the idea you think up in your mind on how everything should look. You want to be joyful and enjoy your children without stressing over everything.

I believe the hardest for me was to surrender my children to God. To know that He was the one that gave them to me to take care of, but that they were truly His. I just get to raise them. I ultimately learned through the passing of my mom a year ago that I am so not in control of anything. I held on so tightly to those around me that I didn't think I could ever surrender them, until I didn't have a choice. Then I realized that we are only here for a short time and
this life here is not the end. I want my children in turn to surrender their life to God and live for Him. Then in turn to teach their children to surrender and so on.

Surrendering for me is no longer considered a sacrifice, but a joy. To know that I get to have these precious children and I do surrender myself to being their mom. And that I surrendered myself to being a child of God, so that I can teach my children about the greatest surrender which was Jesus dying on the cross to pay for what we should have.

3 comments:

Becky @ BoysRuleMyLife said...

Beautiful! Just beautiful! I think you hit the nail on the head with this topic! I think "learn how to surrender" should be one of the first things we tell young mothers (or mothers to be). Had I known that was all I needed to do (even though it was hard because I like things the way I like them) life could have been so much easier in the beginning.

Again, great post! I hope you'll return next week for some "Healing". Have a great weekend!

Tracybug Creative said...

you are a wise momma! Good stuff.

Danette said...

Tracy's right, you are wise! I distinctly remember Justin having this conversation with me when Jed was tiny--I was so stressed about something happening to him, I didn't handle it very well. He kept telling me that Jed ultimately belongs to God, and I can't control what happens...as of now, it has been the hardest lesson to learn--still learning it in fact!