Today was a hard day. My dad got the call Monday that they were finally going to move my mom from her grave site in one cemetery to her final resting place in her home town where my dad lives. We made this decision about 6 months after her death, we wanted her closer and a variety of other reasons, it has taken about 7 months to get to this day.
It was a little crazy this morning because they were to disinter her this morning at 8 am providing weather permitted. I wanted to be there, but woke up late due to the storm waking the kids and they all piled into our bed during the night. I called to make sure that everything was still going to happen and the person I needed to talk to was in a meeting so I left a message and piled the kids into the car and headed the 45 min. drive. About half way there I get a call back saying that the disinterment has already happened and she is in transit. So I call my dad and woke him up and told him to get to the funeral home and see what is going on and to make sure that he is there when she gets there. I continue on to the grave site that she was at for my own peace of mind to see the grave open and it had been. My dad called me back and said that she was not in transit, but still at the funeral home and that she would be in transit between 2-3 pm. I went ahead to where my dad lives and met up with him for lunch. Before we got there J#2 started complaining his stomach hurt, and he did not eat lunch. J#3 started fussing because he is cutting teeth. I thought, this is not a day to have been out all day with them. Then I got the phone call at 1:50 pm that they would be at the grave site for burial with my mom at 2:15. We loaded up and on the drive over there thankfully J#2 and J#3 went to sleep and I had a chance to have some thoughts to myself, to think about how I am going to feel to watch my mom be buried again.
We pulled up into the cemetery just as they were taking the concrete vault that carried my mother's casket and put it down on the ground then they began to dig the grave. It was just J#1 and I that were watching and we had the moment to talk about how he felt since his Mimi was gone. We got to share with each other how sad we felt and I am so glad we had that moment together. Then we watched as they lowered her into her final resting place, just as J#2 and J#3 woke up. We all watched them cover the grave and say another good-bye.
Wednesday, April 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Wow... what a tough day. I can't imagine having to do that...
Hugs-
Sorry for the rough day yesterday. Glad to know that she is finally laid to rest close to your dad.
Love u
I am glad she is at rest close to your dad...what a legacy your Mom has in you - her sweet daughter!
It did not click that this is what kept your away last night. Your post brought me to tears for you. This has been a tough road for you to walk, but I see God's grace abound all the more!
Post a Comment