Thursday, April 24, 2008

Mr. X-Box

I have not blogged because I had felt sick the last couple of days. It was some kind of head cold or sinus thing, but whatever it was I was down for the count. I am feeling like a human for the first time today so we went for a day of bouncing with some friends, then onto the park to eat some lunch and play some more. The J-Boys really needed the time to get out of the house and run around. Since I have been sick and laying on the couch they have had the opportunity to play on X-Box and watch T.V. more than usual. I am really not liking the whole X-Box game thing. We have never bought the boys any type of game system and the only games they usually play is on the computer and they are educational/fun type of game. We got the X-Box for free and have let the boys try it out with borrowed games and I have noticed a few things about it. One, it is highly addictive. Two, it causes more fights between J#1 and J#2. Three, it seems they tend to be more disrespectful to me. Four, they forget to have an imagination after playing that thing even for one day!

I am not saying have a gaming system is a bad thing, everything should be in moderation, T.V., computer, etc... I am just saying I see a significant change in my boys from never having a game system ever to now having one I see a difference. I tried to limit them and I was asked at least every 10 min. when they could play it again. If I said that they could not play it all day, the whining started and the "I don't have anything to do". It was really sad. I think Mr. X-Box needs to go away for a long while and we will determine at a later date if it should come back out. Maybe because it is a new thing they are really excited over playing it, but I don't care for the change of behavior I see. I don't know if it is that way with all kiddos who have one, but if so we are growing up a generation of vegetables with disrespectful attitudes. No real thinking skills after you figure out how to play the game and no physical stuff with this game. I know the Wii is different with being physical. I don't know we will have to see. I just don't want my boys consumed with it.

1 comment:

Tracybug Creative said...

We don't own any type of game system here... but I was in Walmart the other day..they had a WII set up and while it was highly interactive..those playing it were completely oblivious to the world around them! Hope you get those J-heads back on straight!