Friday, March 14, 2008

Lunch with the Nail Lady...

Yesterday the J-Boys and I went to Terrell and had lunch with my dad and Nail Lady. Nail Lady was the one that did my mom's nails since I was a little girl. But of course their relationship grew into so much more than just getting my mom's nails done every two weeks. The Nail Lady was sort of like a therapist to her also listening to all her troubles and of course all the joys in her life. I remember sitting there watching Nail Lady going 90 to nothing on my moms nails and just talking up a storm about this that and another. I was fascinated by the whole thing and the smell of nail salons always brings me back to those days. Now I always have had my own long nails, but on occasion if something was going on I would get Nail Lady to paint them for me or if one was broken I would get a false one put on. She did my nails for graduation and of course for my wedding and was also an invited guests. She has been a part of our lives what seems like forever. As I was going through town in Terrell to meet my dad and the Nail Lady I was missing my mom a lot, it still makes my heart ache to see places that we went together and I am pretty sure we ate at almost all of the eating joints in Terrell. One good thing is the Diamond Shamrock that she used to work at has been changed over to Valero and doesn't resemble the old store so much. I was so excited to see the Nail Lady sitting next to her at lunch and just gabbing over this and that made me feel like a piece of my mom was there and brought back memories of old times. I know she loved the Nail Lady for more than just doing her nails, she was a special friend. Everyone that knew my mom identified her with those long red nails, which the Nail Lady lovingly would call "Horror Red Nails". We had a great lunch and promised to do it again. After lunch the J-Boys were itching to go back to Papa's house and feed some cows. So we did and we all rode around on the Gator which J#1 and J#2 also help drive, some occasions it was scary, but for the most part it was a lot of fun. Here is a pic of J#2:
He loves being right with Papa when ever he is doing things around the farm.
J#3 wanted in on the action of the wheel!

After some ice cream sandwiches, the J-Boys and I went back up to Tanger Outlet for some bargain shopping then we went back through Rockwall to the Health Store for some vitamins. We finally reached home around 6:30 pm. When I walked in I found Mechanic Man putting up the backsplash that we decided to go with. Mechanic Man talked me out of putting up tile (too much labor for him) and instead we chose to put up the newest thing out on the market now which is made out of plastic sheets. It does look cool though. Here is a pic of the finished product:
Just what the kitchen needed for the final touch. It turned out great and blends really well with the coloring on the walls and cabinets.

Oh, and for those who want to see the latest pic of J#1 toe, here it is:
I think that it is looking uglier each day. I will be ready for it to return to normal. J#1 wanted to know if it will hurt for it to fall off and I told him that I didn't think it would. He is a little nervous about it.

1 comment:

Tracybug Creative said...

I bet Nail Lady is great fun and knows all the inner workings of Terrell! I can't wait to see the back splash, it looks amazing!
and yeah, I lost a toe nail once, it hurt real bad before it came off, and felt so much better once it did! Took 4 months for the blasted thing to grow back, I was worried!