I am in no way an expert in the cooking department, nor do I have some culinary degree. But I have through my own necessity and checking out different frugal blogs and come up with a few tips of my own.Since we are heading into the summer there will be a lot of fruits and veggies on sale. STOCK UP, yes, you can stock up on fresh fruit and veggies and be able to use them or store them before going bad. Decide what you will use fresh right then and what can be stored. When it comes to onions, bell peppers, zucchini, squash, etc... Chop them puppies up and store in the freezer.
What I do lets say on an onion, which can be a daunting task, I chop it up into 1 cup serving size that fits in those snack bags wipe away the tears, then I place about 4 snack bags into a quart size freezer bag and store them into the freezer when needed just pull out how many you need and cook them up! I have sliced onion and bell pepper, like I would for fajitas and put them in the freezer and they cooked up just fine. With zucchini and squash I either chop them into big chunks for when I use them in my squash casserole or I slice them and use them for another side dish. So if you have a way that you normally fix your veggies that is how I would cut them and place them in bags. Makes things so much more convenient and cheaper because I got them at a good price.
I have not found a veggie that I can't freeze in some way and use later. As long as you cook it you can use it!!

3 comments:
I do this too....or at least try to most of the time ;) Good idea about the 1 cup of onions.
you are too smart! i dont know why i didnt think about that. we buy things in the freezer section and they are just as yummy when we cook them, why couldnt we do that ourselves?? how clever! thanks for the tip!
That is so true, and a great way to take advantage of summer garden produce!
Post a Comment